Friday, February 25, 2011

Disaster Strikes

It seems we have had a bit of a run in with Mother Nature on this side of the world. Just after lunchtime on Tuesday, Christchurch NZ was hit with a 6.3 magnitude earthquake, a follow up to the 7.1 magnitude quake which was felt in September 2010. The city has been devastated, buildings have collapsed, Homes have been lost forever, Roads torn apart and pipes burst causing huge problems for the whole city. Unfortunately, this time around, the quake has also seen causalities fallen. The death toll continues to rise as the rubble is slowly removed. The search and rescue attempts are quickly turning to search and recovery missions. This has quickly become one of the most devastating Natural Disasters ever to be seen by my small country. The images of the desperation of the people of Christchurch will be burnt into my mind forever. These are the days that my heart breaks for my country, these are the days I wish I could do something to stop the suffering and heartache. These are the days that I mourn for the lost and grieve for the broken.

And even though, this is one of the most tragic things I have ever really encountered, its during these times, that I have been the most proud of my country. Not only have we, as a people, come together in this time of need, to donate, not only financially but emotionally as well, we have come together to encourage, and to support those, sometimes perfect strangers, who just need someone to count on. The messages of hope, and love, and encouragement that I have seen over the past few days make me so proud to be a New Zealander. My people, truly, have the most beautiful kind spirit.

I just wanted to share a few of the images that have become so familar to all of us over here in the last couple of days. I think these pictures will stay with me forever.


This one might be the most devastating of them all. The Christchurch Catherdral. One of the most beautiful buildings I had ever seen. I am lucky I got to experience it, before its destruction.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a tragedy. I'm glad that you are alright Tillie! Those photos are incredible, thank you for sharing them. The cracks through the Earth are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely awful what is happening over there. I have been bought to tears many times watching the news and I feel so helpless. I have to agree that these events usually demonstrate the strength and unity of communities we saw a similar thing with the floods. Sending all my love to New Zealand xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been keeping NZ and specifically the people of Christchurch in my prayers. Mother Nature can be so terrible at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you Tillie~ It breaks my heart that such a disaster can happen ~ my thoughts are with you and beautiful New Zealand~ I hope that healing can begin soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still in shock, the world seems to be cracking apart. Its scary. I hope everyone will be ok, my heart goes out to all those who lost loved ones. so sad

    ReplyDelete
  6. I immediately thought of Jess (your cousin?) when I heard about this. Is she and everyone else in your family okay? I haven't heard from her in a long time.

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete